Tuesday, August 23, 2011

It's Always Something

So even after 4 IUIs, 1 IVF, 1 ICI, 3 old-fashioned tries, and a 40th & 41st birthday behind me, I still want to push forward with another IVF.  I cashed out that final 401(k) from my old lawyering days and was ready to write the check and go.
But.

I mentioned to my RE that my cycle has shortened to 21 days for the past few cycles.  He immediately stopped the process and said something to the effect of "let's re-test your hormone levels, since money doesn't grow on trees and we don't want to waste it".  He put me on birth control pills to delay the cycle while we wait for the test results.  I have an appointment with him this Friday to go over the results.  However, by yesterday I couldn't wait any longer and I called the office to see if any of the results had come in.  A few of the tests had come back and they are not good.

My fsh, which is supposed to be below 10 (and always had been under 10 in the past) has spiked to 17!  This is very very bad.  Though I haven't spoken to the doctor yet, I do know that many clinics will not even consider me a candidate for IVF with an fsh this high. 

This is devastating news.

I'm really really really depressed about it. Everywhere I look it's babies! and husbands! and weddings! and home-buying! and careers! and families! Most people get to have some or all of these things.  I always knew deep down that I wouldn't have it all, but I wanted my little piece.  If I can't get the spouse, or the house, or the career, then at least I could make my own little family.  And if I had to use a donor for sperm, at least I would use a known donor so that my child could look in the mirror and know where he or she came from.  It never really occurred to me that my child would get to see the face of his biological sperm donor but would not get to see my own genes in that mirror.   

I know that I can still use an egg donor or adopt.  Yes, I know it. 

I just feel so cheated.  Everyone else gets to have all these things, and I have accepted the fact that I won't have many of those things.  I have accepted that I'm not going to have a traditional nuclear family. I have accepted that money is going to be tight.  I have accepted that I am single (and am really ok with it!).  But I have not accepted that I cannot pass along my own mom and dad to another generation. Is this selfish and egotistical? Yes....but that's how I feel.

I have made a lot of choices in my life which have led me to where I am today. Some choices have been strong, and some very weak.  Over the past year and a half I have chosen to make my own family on my own terms.  Finding a donor was a huge and life altering process, but I did it.  I've catalogued on this blog the process of finding a donor, going through all the tests and procedures, and trying traditional chinese medicine, all with money that I don't have to spare.  It was my choice and though I bitched about it, I continued to try because I thought deep down that the end result would be my own little baby with my own squinty eyes and maybe the personality and expression of my mom, dad and brothers. 

Ultimately, though, it seems I simply waited too long to start the process.  And honestly, it just sucks. 

I think one of the worst parts is the jealousy that stings in the pit of my stomach every day - I am jealous of every pregnant stranger on the street.  I am jealous of my friends and family that found love, marriage, houses, careers and/or babies. I am jealous of celebrities that I read about having babies.  It seems that I am jealous of every living human being on the planet these days.  I am aware that the jealousy thing is my achilles heel and something I need to work on.  But it is hard, because everywhere I look I am bombarded with all the things I want and can't have.

So I wait until Friday to hear the official bad news.  And I will have to find a way to move on.





1 comment:

Abby said...

I am so sorry to hear of this news. That just sucks in every respect.

Don't feel like you should feel bad if you are jealous of others. It's natural to feel that way. You don't get credit or punishment for feelings... so go ahead and feel them.

Hang in there, and try not to despair entirely... I feel like I know of so many women who have gotten pregnant with high FSH. In my experience, it's a very poor predictor of who will get pregnant.

All the best to you,

Abby